KEY DATES IN THE HISTORY OF HAWTHORN
1836John Gardiner, John Hepburn and Joseph Hawdon drive cattle through the area.
1837John Gardiner establishes a settlement near the junction of the Yarra and Gardiners Creek.
1852Hawthorn village laid out.
1860Municipality of Hawthorn.
1865Mains water reticulated.
1869Mains gas reticulated.
1887Hawthorn proclaimed a town.
1889Town Hall designed by John Beswicke opened.
1890Hawthorn proclaimed a city – the first in Boroondara.
1891Hawthorn divided into 4 wards.
1913Electric trams introduced.
1994Hawthorn merges into the City Of Boroondara.
The current city of Boroondara lies within the clan territory of the Wurundjeri Willam, members of the indigenous Kulin nation. Their pattern of settlement responded to the changing seasonal availability of plants and animals. The Wurundjeri spent the summer months along the banks of the Yarra. Here they made use of abundant food, hunted animals and trapped the plentiful fish available. During the winter months they moved to higher ground on the fringes of the Dandenongs for more shelter. Large clan celebrations and corroborees are said to have taken place on the hill now occupied by Xavier College.
1800 - 1849
1803First record of white people visiting land east of the Yarra river – noting fine black soil, clay for bricks, tree-covered hills and even some aborigines with smallpox scars.
1834Messrs Henty settle near Portland area.
1835John Batman purchases land from aborigines; the Port Phillip Association plan a settlement.
1836John Gardiner visits by ship from Van Dieman’s Land; later he, John Hepburn and Joseph Hawdon overlanded south from New South Wales, with cattle, to establish cattle stations.
1837Yarra River ford discovered by Thomas MacIntyre was later called Dights Falls.
Governor Bourke visits the settlement (500 people) as Melbourne and the Aboriginal Mission (Williams to Punt Roads). He notes fine trees east of river.
Gardiner’s homestead is north of His creek – Kooyongkoot on surveyor Robert Hoddle’s plans.
1838Boroondara Parish surveyed with creeks, squatters, timber cutters, tracks and possible roads on square mile plan.
Name of area thought to be ‘taken from’ aboriginal word meaning “shady place” Booroondara, Borondara then later became known as Boroondara.
More squatters arrive including Thomas Glass who settles near on Gardiner land north near the river (then even some bushrangers).
Two aboriginal men, Tullamarine and Jin Jin, captured following an altercation and alleged theft of potatoes at Gardiner’s station.
1839Land in and near Melbourne sold by the Crown.
Gardiner worked with a bank, so he and his family had a Town house, land Keelbundoora and a station Mooroolbark with related Fletcher family.
Yarra River floods unexpectedly.
1840Gardiner’s first station near HIS creek is run by relative Edward Walpole (and George Gogs).
Aborigines camp on hill nearby; Land first set aside as an Aboriginal Mission sold as Prahran Allotments north of the Gardiner’s creek or Toorak Road – the main south route to Town.
Special Surveys announced in England – with blocks of 8 square miles or 5120 acres, offered to be sold for £1 per acre, including free passage to Australia.
1841Gardiner manager of Port Phillip Bank and revisited England. Land south of his creek bought by Peter Ferrie, and mortgaged as Glen Ferrie.
Special Surveys including Frederick Unwin’s in Bulleen, and Henry Elgar’s in Boroondara and Nunawading.
1842Dight’s Flour Mill built.
Dr James Palmer (with Richmond property south of Bridge Road) proposed a ‘floating pontoon bridge for woodcutters’ over the river nearby.
Boroondara land was surveyed for sale: 50 Crown Allotments (CA) of approximately 20 acres (8 hectares), south of present day Barkers Road, west of Glenferrie Road with north-east track (later Church Street) and access from roads (later Power, Burwood, Riversdale, Yarra and Morrison). Also five larger Allotments land to Auburn Road of 5 larger Allotments (30+ acres, 14 hectares) south of Riversdale Road.
1843First Government land sales in Boroondara: Twenty Crown Allotments are advertised for sale during a depression with only CAs 11-14 sold to Alexander Davidson “Retired Officer” at £4+ an acre. CA 13 most expensive (£7 an acre) as it most likely included Gardiner’s buildings.
After complaints that Unwin and Elgar Surveys should be nearer the river and Town, Elgar’s west boundary (later Burke Road) moved west, changing the square mile pattern for nearby roads and allotments.
1844Of 8 allotments offered for sale, only CA 27 of 15 acres was sold (for £45/7/6) to Thomas MacIntyre, (later in charge of Palmer’s Punt). Land in Bulleen advertised but not sold.
1845Ten new Allotments surveyed by the river in north Boroondara (now Kew) were sold; Also CA 21 to James Frederick Palmer, CA 26 James Denham Pinnock, CA 25 Andrew Rose Cruikshank (then house built for Pinnock) with river frontage, and Davidson CAs 7/8 near Callitini.
1846Other allotments by river and creek (in Hawthorn) sold: to Palmer, Davidson, Pinnock and also CA 17 Thomas Herbert Power, CA 16 Edmond Charles Hobson, CA 15+18 Thomas Budds Payne, CA 49 Thomas Ratten, CA 50 Michael Woodlock, and Thomas Hague, Michael Lynch, John Howey further east.
1847Allotments to Gardiner’s Creek sold: to Davidson, Hobson, David Power (Thomas’ dad) and Charles Robinson CAs 1/2. Further north: CA 29 James Colvin, CAs 35/36 John McAley, CA 32 Thomas Brooks, CA 34 Thomas McCarthy, CAs 33 + 45/6 Mathew Hughes, Lynch CAs 40 + 42, and Payne CA 47. – with a mixture of pioneers and purchasers who did not stay.
1848Last of the first 50 Crown Allotments sold: CA 43 Thomas Lavidge, CA 30 Thomas MacIntyre, and Lynch now owning 5, Brooks 3 and Payne 4.
Payne and Brooks commence brick making.
Wesleyan Methodists held meetings.
1849Yarra River floods badly: one man drowns in a punt accident during the crossing of 8 horses and 16 men.
Hodgson’s new punt built nearer Studley Park.
1850 - 1874
Eight new Crown Allotments (bounded by Barkers, Riversdale, Auburn, Glenferrie roads) surveyed and sold to new names: William Urquhart, Henry W.W. Liddiard, Nehemiah Guthridge, also to Lavidge, Payne and McConnell.
Land in eastern parts of Boroondara and beyond, once occupied by licensed squatters becomes available for sale – prices climbing to £5 and £9 an acre – with Section A5, 150 acres, by present Tooronga Road to Guthridge.
Tenders advertised for timber bridge over river. David Lennox the Superintendent of Bridges.
Foundation stone laid for Palmer’s house Burwood.
Victoria separates from NSW and Charles LaTrobe becomes the first Governor.
Bushfires in Victoria.
Gold found near Andersons Creek and Warrandyte dramatically increases traffic, land values, sales and population in Boroondara.
A timber bridge replaces Richmond Punt.
Allotments north of Barkers Road sold, prices climbing to £20 an acre nearer river. Edward Kobelke buys Hughes’ CAs 45/46, then with other German settlers. Area known as German Paddock.
Liddiard Street is created as a new private road.
Guthridge land from present Tooronga to Auburn Roads for sale.
Vacant Reserve from Power Street to river, then as official Village of Hawthorn, with land set aside for churches and police near the western end.
First Hawthorn hotel, Queen’s Arms built opposite Village on the south side of Burwood road by Yarra Street.
Dr. Palmer’s house Burwood built near the river.
Serpell family purchases north-east corner Burwood and Glenferrie Roads called Wattle Hill.
Land further east known as Upper Hawthorn and Red Gum Flat.
Hawthorn Village’s 16 Allotments, east of wobbly creek with Lennox Street, were sold to 10 people – mainly newcomers to the area (with 3 Lots chopped into 12 for sale a month later).
A first General Store of Thomas Sartain & John Pearson appears on south side of village – started with 7 yr lease.
Local school began nearby in Burwood Road, on Thomas Power’s land, after occupying huts in Church Street north beyond Red Lion Inn.
Another Reserve, Lunatic Asylum Paddock, set aside near Hodgson land as Studley Park.
Village of Rathmines and Rosebank offered for sale, and Connell Street area subdivided. Liddiard’s land sold as Auburn, then later called Village of Upper Hawthorn.
Last 20 Allotments (CAS 92 – 108) to Burke Road south were sold (part cut by Camberwell Road) with some familiar names: Patrick Mornane, John Hodgson. Joseph Anderson, Henry Creswick and Michael Lynch.
Some soon offered for sale in smaller lots, or held for many years but not owner occupied, although with long-term orchards and market gardens in the Pleasant Road area.
First bitumen road from the bridge constructed.
Foundation stones for Christ Church (Hawthorn Historic Plaque) and the National School laid on the same day by Lieutenant Governor La Trobe and the School by Palmer.
Stone and brick supplier advertisements.
Palmer’s Westbank on Richmond side of river for sale.
Hawthorne Hotel built.
Red Lion Hotel built by George Hatherly (Hawthorn Historic Plaque).
Gardiner & Fletcher station Mooroolbark sold and Gardiner returned to Europe.
Wesleyan chapel/school on Reserve.
Hawthorne Road District announced then changed.
Boroondara Road District proclaimed; James Palmer Esq. JP, requesting meeting to elect a Committee, to improve Boroondara – with road works, tolls on main roads and park land considered. Christ Church opened.
National, Catholic and Wesleyan schools exist.
Pinnock’s home (on the western side of Church Street) occupied by Childers family as Hawthorne House, like Hawthorne Post Office and probably Hawthorne Hotel.
Tolls levied for people and animals on main roads near river with timber-carting dominant.
Only local factory is tannery by Yarra Street, and part of CA 69 brickfield.
Main Gipps Land Road planned north (later Whitehorse Road). Local hotels – Beehive, Governor Hotham, Sir Robert Nickle, Fletcher’s, Boroondara. The Bridge Hotel ran horse bus services to town.
Black Ball store by Liddiard Street and Boroondara Store Burwood Road rattled by earthquake.
T. J. Everist’s Spring Hill vineyard.
Wesleyan church near Munro Street
Boroondara District Road Board members elected, Hawthornites Henry Box, Thomas Brooks, Michael Lynch, William Pettett elected with Henry Sallows Walsh the first chairman. Office on Lynch land north-east corner Burwood and Power Street. Hawthorn Total Abstinence Society established.
Studley Park, Johnston Street and local creek bridges built and stone bridge to replace timber bridge near Bridge Road.
Roadworks begin for Power, Riversdale and Auburn roads.
Population: 1,678 in Census, including almost equal numbers men and women.
St Joseph’s church/school built Denham Street.
Hawthorn identities David Hill, Thomas Johnson, Michael O’Grady members of the Boroondara Roads Board – O’Grady as chairman. (O’Grady of Erinagh Glenferry Road) Michael Lynch’s Grace Park House built, designed by John Gill (Hawthorn Historic Plaque).
Boroondara Cemetery Reserve with Trustees.
Kew Total Abstinence Society.
Boroondara: 941 house owners/occupiers.
Hawthorn National School enlarged, now 150 pupils.
A Sketch of Boroondara written by James Bonwick.
1859First burial at Boroondara Cemetery in Kew, before Reserve planned/Studeley park reserve had road and ranger.
Hawthorn and then Kew separate from Boroondara as Municipal districts with Councils, creating bylaws. Municipality of Hawthorn constituted 28.07.1860. Michael O’Grady fist chairman of the Borough of Hawthorn.
Road Board office held library books from State Library.
Yarra River floods.
Tenders for Town Hall and Court house, policeman nearby.
John Toon Town clerk.
Volunteer Army, local policeman and Literary Association formed.
Railway train reaches PicNic station on other side of the river but bridge not yet finished to Hawthorn.
James Scott’s Royal Nursery situated near site of future Hawthorn Station rail yards.
Congregational Church meetings.
Pearson Tea Gardens licensed.
German Paddock named Weinberg Road.
12 streets to be constructed with government grant and street signs in Hawthorn and Kew: Auburn, Glenferry, Beehive, Bulleeen,
German, Tierney’s roads, and Henry, Liddiard, Barton, Connell and William streets.
Congregational Church meetings.
Council meetings Wednesday evening 7pm. Official opening of Hawthorn Town Hall. Erected near Glenferrie Road, not on Village Reserve site despite a petition by David Hill and 100 plus residents.
First stone bridge built near Church and Burwood Road, another one for railway line extended to Hawthorn Station (7 trains per day).
Trains to new Hawthorn Station.
Now 64 brick-makers in Hawthorn but complaints about burning bricks.
Water available from pump by river.
Horse races in Brooks Paddock and cricket also near Boroondara Hotel.
Bridges constructed over the creeks near Burwood, Toorak and Oxley Roads.
Streets kerbed and channelled.
Crown Land set aside for Gardens, Glen Iris water reserve, Camberwell Common.
Hawthorn Common or Pound for wandering animals.
Weekly South Bourke Standard advertises local clubs, societies and activities.
First 30 Kerosene oil street lights, first on Burwood Road.
Comte De Dollon’s 40 acre vineyard on Auburn Road short listed for the Gold Cup Prize awarded by the Argus newspaper.
Population: 2342 persons, living in 288 timber and 186 brick houses. (1251 Church of England, 389 Roman Catholic, 176 Methodist, 182, Presbyterian, 91 Baptist, 124 Independent/Congregationalist, 51 Lutheran, 19 Unitarian and 41 “objecting to stating religion”).
Cricket played in Reserve.The District centre moves east towards Glenferrie Road.
Horticultural Show held at the Town Hall that now included a tower and library.
Upper Hawthorn Public School built.
Horse cars to Kew and 5 mile post Camberwell for 3 pence.
Chinese settlers operate market gardens along the river.
Independent chapel/school on Burwood Road
Slaughterer Robert Ridler applies to use boiling down works near creek as abattoirs.
Pearson daughter born at Callantina Farm.
Christ Church consecrated, clear of debt.
Yarra River flooding sees waters rise more than 30 feet above average summer levels (2nd worst in 30 years). Gold discoveries and building damage.Hawthorn and Kew became Boroughs, Mayors replacing Chairmen.
Bylaws enacted – wandering cattle, lamps on carts after sunset and burning brick nuisance.
Naming of streets continued. Rates levied at 1/- in £1.
Five brickyards near Connell Street.
Horse car operates from Hawthorn station to Burke Road.
Hawthorn National School on corner of Burwood Road and Church Street now named Common School.
Husseys own 9 houses in Hawthorn village.
Bonfires celebrate Prince of Wales wedding.
Coles family orchard wins prize for fruit.
Kew Reserve now Mental Hospital.Dogs registered.
First Presbyterian Church in Glenferrie Road.
Mains Water supply from Yan Yean extended to Hawthorn and later towards Kew.
A weighbridge by river Burwood Road north near Church Street.
Hawthorn Grammar school near Power Street.
More street lights. Floods.
Hawthorn Grammar advertises for boarders.
Brickmakers Arms Hotel built in Barton Street near corner of Hill Street by George Smart.
Methodist church/school on the corner of Burwood Road and William Street. Pearson Tea Gardens.
5 mile post destroyed by Camberwell Road.
Hawthorn Glen of Glen Family.
1868Guide for Excursionists from Melbourne notes Robert Hepburn’s magnificent orchard, vineyard, farm: Judge Molesworth’s residence, … big sandhill for view – perfect panorama of Melbourne, Richmond … Mr Everist – finest wines in Colony … rank luxuriance – air absolutely sated with freshness … country completely covered in verdue..
Gas supplies extended across the Yarra to the Boroughs of Hawthorn and Kew.
Immaculate Conception church built on Burwood Road.
Serpell’s Ironmongery and furniture store opposite the Town Hall.
Corner Store of Charles Fysh built on the corner at 107 Burwood Road nearer the Village.
Railway Hotel later known as the Elgin Inn Hotel.
Complaints of people swimming naked in river.
Amalgamation with Hawthorn and Kew proposed by Camberwell.
Brickworks nearer Church Street declining.
Football Juniors, perhaps Hawthorn Grammar boys play in Grace Park.
Remainder of Boroondara Road District as Shire.
St Joseph’s Capitation School 313.
Water reaches Camberwell Junction by pipes, could be sold.
New large horse omnibus.
Hawthorn; 311 brick homes, 318 timber
First purpose built Post Office alongside the Town Hall on corner of Burwood and Glenferrie Roads
No bathing allowed in the Yarra River between 9 am-7 pm.
The first E.S. & A. Bank, Post and Telegraph offices on west side Town Hall, with letters stamped “Hawthorn”.
Village land (west of Barton Street) withdrawn from sale.
Wesleyan schoolroom holds 150-200 children.
Belgian altar to Immaculate Conception Church.
Zion church in Connell then Denham Street
Omnibus to Camberwell.
Pearson acquires a wine license.
Football: Meetings at Hawthorn and Boroondara hotels to found football club: Football played regularly at Hepburn’s Paddock by Camberwell Road, with club. Also more cricket.
E.S. & A. Bank moved to Glenferrie Road.
South Bourke Standard ceased, editor Slatterie now Town clerk.
Police Constable in Church Street and Beswicke land in Harcourt Street.
Fritsch -Holzer-Spear brickworks on Camberwell Road extending.
Terminus Hotel near station, Tower Hotel opened (later just east Burwood Road).Road metal dug by Morang Road.
Dr. Lindsay Richardson, Burwood Road.
Ladies College in Grace Park.
1875 - 1899
State school later in Manningtree Road (as Glenferrie 1508) began in Wesleyan school room with 230 pupils.More buses or wagonettes run east and north from Hawthorn Station, with coaches on main roads to Town.
Zion Chapel in Denham Street.Thomas Power dies. Large Boroondara properties for sale.
Hawthorn Rowing Club established. Road tolls abolished.
Zion Baptist Church Thomas Street.
Tintern school founded by Emma Cook.
New Kinkora House built.
Piped water reaches Kew. Xavier school established.
New Johnston Street Bridge.
Volunteer Fire Brigades in Kew and Hawthorn. Kew & Hawthorn Express publication.
Augustine Congregational Church foundation stone.Land acquired by Council near Wallen Road.
Belgian Consul near Burton Avenue.
Gas crosses Hawthorn. Brickworks in central Hawthorn produce 5 million bricks (about a quarter of Brunswick’s millions).
Chinese market gardeners by Yarra Street.
Creek underground by Lennox Street.
New Beehive Hotel
Railway line extended from Hawthorn to Glenferrie Road, Auburn Road and Burke Road -31 steam trains per day, stations planned with level crossings.Methodist Ladies College as Hawthorn.
Stratherne school in Riversdale Road.
Boroondara Standard and Kew and Hawthorn Express in publication.
First Masonic Lodge (Victoria Lodge No 88).
St Columb’s church opens.
Immaculate Conception presbytery built.
Bridge planned for Swan and Victoria streets, Wallen Street extended.Historic house The Terricks rebuilt.
Fritsch and Holzer brickworks amalgamate.
Hawthorn Bowling Club shed.
Golding boot factory
Estates for sale increasing, near public transport. Grace Park estate as leasehold land, for 50 years to 1934, with 10 homes built first. MacIntyre land Fairmount Park.
Methodist church in Elgin Street and Zion Chapel in Burwood Road, also Congregational church/school.
Manchester Unity in Launder Street.
Bakers Road bridge problems.
Chinese market gardens.
Cable trams ran from river to Melbourne Town. Kew Reservoir.
Street trees planted.
Undertaker established by Otto Preuss in Burwood Road near Glenferrie Road.
Hepburn Hill advertised, streets formed, gravelled, metalled, channelled, planted, footpaths asphalted, gas and water mains.
Tooroonga Estate subdivided.
Salvation Army meetings.
Site for Wesleyan Church bought in Oxley Road.
Horse tram ran to Kew cemetery.130 trains per day to Camberwell.
Ferries carried patrons to tea rooms near Gardiners Creek.
Auburn Bowling Club. Rowing Club sheds.
Hawthorn West school extended.
Church of Christ built in Glenferrie Road.
Smith’s Paddock sold.
Augustine church extended.
Hawthorn proclaimed a Town 18th March 1887 with seal engraved by J. S. Paterson.
Eminent architect John Beswicke’s house Rotha built.
Lamp pillars Burke Road.
Unsaniitary waterholes near creek Elgin Street.
Moran and Cato grocery Burwood Road
Elite Skating Rink owned by Silk family Burwood Road.
Railway duplicated to Box Hill.New Town Hall building.
Grand hotels: Glenferrie, Riversdale, Auburn, Palace and also Glenferrie Coffee Palace.
Long two-storeyed terrace built near new Elgin Street Bridge.
Auburn/Burwood roads south-west corner bought for £7000 by Mayor George Grant Munro but remained undeveloped.
Land offered for Central Gardens.
Mason Street Reserve filled by horse tram excavation.
Bible Christian Church Rathmines Road. St Columb’s Sunday School. Upper Hawthorn Congregational Riversdale Road.
Auburn State School begins in Auburn Recreation Hall Queens Avenue.
Population: 12,017, double Kew’s and four times that of Camberwell.
Local newspapers: Boroondara Standard, Express, Camberwell and Hawthorn Advertiser.Opening of new Hawthorn Town Hall designed by John Beswicke.
Auburn State School in Methodist Church in Oxley Road.
Hawthorn City Band.
Langham Hotel near Town Hall.
Hawthorn proclaimed a City on 12th September 1860. Horse tram extended from Bridge Road, Riversdale Road to Auburn Road; so corner Riversdale Road removed, Burwood Road sloped and Victoria Bridge widened.
Opening of Glen Iris and Outer Circle Railway Lines.
Lanes planned for sewers added to previous estate plans.
Gas holder built at Tooronga.
Auburn State School building.
Row of terrace shops in Auburn Road built for proposed grand shopping centre.
Part Victoria Reserve acquired.
City of Hawthorn is divided into four wards; Auburn, Glenferrie, Power, Yarra. Major Floods; significant destruction including Walmer Street Bridge, Hawthorn Tea Gardens and boatsheds.
Telephone Exchange opened in a room in Hawthorn Town Hall.
West Hawthorn Presbyterian Church Grove Road and church foundation Glenferrie Road.
Many houses in streets now numbered.
Gardiner’s Creek realigned and lined.
Women’s suffragette petition.
Woman drowned in the Mason Street brick pit.
Commercial Bank on south-west corner Burwood and Glenferrie Roads.
Shops near Beehive corner.
Local Salvation Army meetings began.Creek near Morang Road straightened and barrelled.
Gasometer near Toorak and Tooronga Roads.
Part of Rathmines Road reserve acquired.
1893Kawarau Tooronga Road, built for merchant Robinson, later associated with Frederick Cato. (Victorian Heritage Register).
Parks planned in former brickyards but with fences to keep out wandering cattle.Ladies College Auburn Road.
Auburn Heights Bowling Club Barker’s Road.Drain made Church Street to College Street.
Fintona School Essington in Mayston Street.
Gas lamps in streets.Smith & Corrigan wrote History of Hawthorn to 1895.
Salvation Army leader in Church Street.
Belgian Consul in Victoria Road.
Hawthorn Football club plays with the Victorian Football League.Proposal for electricity supply to be extended to Hawthorn.
Boroondara Standard ceases publication.
Grace Park Tennis Club opened.New Black Ball store 1-5 William Street.
Chinese market gardeners near Urquhart Street.
1899Population: 19,993 – 12 hotels, 2 bowling greens, coffee palace, 5 banks, 3 State schools, 2 Catholic schools, 21 churches, 3 weekly newspapers.
1900 - 1924
Gas cluster lamps erected on main roads.
Hawthorn City- County of Burke, Parish Boroondara. 2400 acres.
Population: 21,100, 5598 ratepayers, 3741 voters on roll. 12 councillors, John Adams mayor.
Hoffman Kiln erected Tooronga works producing bricks and tiles.
Salvation Army meets in Falmouth Street.
Central Gardens created.Dogs on chains.
Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church.
Horse tram terrorists attack a tram and steal money from passengers.
Annie Hughston school Burke Road.
Alf Kosky forms football club to compete in metropolitan Junior Football Association. Hawthorn Cycling Club created.
Thomas Serpell’s Reminscences of Early Hawthorn.
Hawthorn Cycling Club.
1904Grace Park offered to the Council.
Sewerage system connected; started in the area by river, proceeding slowly.School leaving age raised.
Central Sports Ground opens.
Auburn Police Station in Auburn Grove.
‘Living Hawthorn’ film – idea of Teddy Rigg. Opening of the Public baths (women restricted to Tuesdays) in Glenferrie Road.
Glenferrie Hill Bowling Club established.
St Aidan’s Church Auburn Road.
George Swinburne proposed Technical College.Bands popular.
German Consul’s house in Harcourt Street.
Extension to Glenferrie School in Wattle Road.
“Bi-Chloride of Gold Institute”, Coppin Grove treats alcoholism. Rev. Edgar – superintendant.
St Joseph’s school extended.
Foundation stone laid for Eastern Suburbs Technical College (later Swinburne Technical College).New Post Office Burwood Road.
Reserve near Denham Street upgraded and palms planted.
Iron water troughs replacing wooden horse troughs on various main roads – Burwood/Glenferrie south-west corner.
Grace Park part as gift, Council then purchased, with concerts and films later at football ground.
Scout groups formed.Hawthorn Traders Association.
City Bricks now produces 120,000 bricks per week.
Glenferrie Coffee Palace then Cavendish.
Eastern Suburbs Technical College opens.
Quarrying bylaws.Fire station in William Street.
Don store by Glenferrie Station.
Colles & Dew History of Hawthorn and Book of Reference.
Presbyterian Church Power Street.
Municipality of Kew proclaimed a Town.
Large olive tree, by development near Burwood Road, dug up and moved by horse and cart near rockery Power Street south.
Hawthorn College Minona Street.
Electric lights approved for main roads.Augustine, then Free Kindergarten, later Robert Cochrane.
Clock added in Town Hall tower, small hall built.
Anderson Park acquired.
Boatsheds in trouble with floods and creek problems.
Girl Guides meet Hawthorn Hall.
West Hawthorn Presbyterian church Power Street.
St Mary’s School, New Street.
Park fences removed.Bandstands built in public gardens but bands not encouraged to play if children should be at church or Sunday school.
Auburn Reserve landscaped and Redfern Road Reserve improved.
Glenferrie Theatre built on site of former Roman Catholic School.
Bluestone lane network.
St Joseph’s Convent, Havelock Street.
Electric lights in Christ Church.
Salvation Army Citadel Burwood Road.
Baptist Church Barton Street.
Hockey and baseball played at Grace Park.
Glenferrie Road electric tram from Malvern to Barkers Road.Garbage destructor planned/Garbage destructor near Burgess Street.
Gas lamps were removed from main roads, intersections, also street trees in Burke Road.
Foundation stone of Catholic Church Burke Road.
Swinburne Technical College.
China Inland Mission.
Scotch College purchases land near river. Camberwell Grammar in Burke Road.
Hawthorn Football Club joins VFA; called Mayblooms.
Camberwell proclaimed a city.
Infant School Auburn.
Horse trams cease. Electric tram to Kew Post office.Our Lady of Victories.
New Parish as Kooyong.
Gardiner’s Creek channelled.
Hawthorn Tramways Trust depot near Wallen Reserve land; tram first just to Power Street, then Riversdale Road, Wattle Valley, Highfield, Warrigal roads, with Wattle Park bought to tempt passengers; then down Camberwell Road to Toorak Road then to Burwood.Name Weinberg Road changes to Wattle Road, with anti-German feeling during war, also Hildebrandt and Karl become Hilda and Charles streets.
Scotch College moves to new grounds and buildings in Hawthorn. First 40 pupils.
Swinburne Girls Technical School established.
Palace Theatre built in Glenferrie Road near former St John’s school.
Bible Christian Hall erected, Victoria Grove.
Victoria Bridge strengthened
1917Burke Road tram extended, later through Gardiner and to Cotham Road.
Electric trams, trams shed upgraded.Venezuelan Consul, Lisson Grove.
Railway line raised by Glenferrie and Auburn stations and lowered to Camberwell. First World War soldiers influenza hospital, in Glenferrie School’s newer building.Baths closed.
Collection for Soldiers Club.
Salvation Army Hall Burke Road.
Trees planted in Honour Avenue.
Smart Street Park planned.
Auburn Livery Stables near Auburn Hotel and Auburn Nursery near Caroline Street.
New Scotch College building.
“Dry Referendum” brings about hotel closures in Camberwell and numbers reduced in Hawthorn.St Marks school.
South Hawthorn Presbyterian Church Tooronga Road/Constance Street.
Returned Soldiers Hall built on Manningtree Road corner.
Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board takes over Tramway Trust.
Rivoli Picture Theatre. Kew proclaimed a City.
Unimproved capital value rating.
H A Smith Reserve.
Box Hill and Kew railway line electrified.Plane trees popular street trees and nature strips encouraged.
Proposed park for Smart Street.
Boonoke in Manningtree Road given to Presbyterian Church – year later occupied by Stratherne Girls School.
Joint garbage destructor near Gardiners Creek for Cities of Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell. Major flooding of Yarra River.
Pigeon Club, Morang Road.
Commercial Bank manager shot by Squizzy Taylor.
Baby Health Centres open.Ward boundaries altered.
Kilmaire College commenced in Hawthorn.
Manresa Hall built.
State School windows widened.
Six cricket clubs used Harcourt Street reserve, with toilets and pavilion.
Part Fashoda Street brick pit filled.
1925 - 1949
Town Hall painted, Library moved east along Burwood Road.Auburn South Primary School.
Hawthorn Football Club admitted to Victorian Football League.
Baby Health Centre Burwood Road (third in Hawthorn).
Burke Road river bridge rebuilt.Tram along Riversdale Road duplicated to Wattle Valley Road.
Motor bus operated from Canterbury to Richmond via Liddiard Street and Grace Park.
Discontinuation of passenger service on northern section of Outer Circle Railway.
Bridge Road bridge strengthened for electric trams.
Preshil in Barkers Road.
Ward boundaries altered.
Camberwell Free Press published.R S L Hall and new churches built.
35 cases of tuberculosis (20 deaths), 31 diptheria, 39 scarlet fever, 6 typhoid fever (1 death), 3 tubercular meningitis – all dead, and 3 diseminated tuberculosis (2 dead).
War Memorial built in park (now St James Park).Illawarra Road south reserve.
Kanes’ footbridge at Kew/Fairfield.
Manresa Hall and Kindergarten.Chandler Highway opens to traffic.
Unemployed men levelling Burke Road south. Anderson Road, Gardiners Creek, Wallen Road Reserve.
Plague of rats.
Scullin Park.569 married men and 306 single men registered as unemployed.
Shop verandahs removed.Hawthorn Standard published.
Historic house Invergowrie in Coppin Grove used as Homecrafts Hostel, for 10 years, rent free.Fairview Park created along the river near Wallen Road.
Floods destroy Hawthorn Rowing Club’s and Xavier boatsheds, and Kanes’ Bridge, so Yarra Dam work.Auburn Recreation Hall planned.
A. N. Smith’s manuscript ‘A History of Hawthorn to 1934’ was typed.
Boys swimming in Auburn brickworks pool hot water.
Cochrane garden added to Kindergarten.
Land given to Council near Glan Avon Road by Thomas Hughes, and part of Fairview Park.New classrooms St Johns school in Glenferrie Road (later St Josephs).
Town Hall re-modelled.
Cairn erected by Hawthorn City Council commemorates building of the first dwelling in Hawthorn by John Gardiner in 1836.
New Court House and Police Station in Glenferrie Road also new portico, foyer and Council chamber for Town Hall.Government Statist reports July 1936: Population: 34,299, 8,567 houses and residential shops , 563 shops and factories, 9130 total buildings.
Building surveyor reports: Population 35,723, 378 buildings (6,162 timber and 2,0050 brick), 711 residential shops, 327 lock-up shops, 128 factories and garages. Includes 22 registered boarding houses, 1 coffee palace, 7 hotels, 5 hostels/boarding schools.Poliomyelitis scare.
Leeches collected near Gardiners Creek for Melbourne University medical students.
1938Riversdale demolished for Riversdale Court subdivision.
Black Friday bushfires across Victoria.New Automatic Telephone Exchange opens in Hawthorn.
Baptist Church near Wills Street.
New Rivoli theatre.Lights dimmed, blackout blinds, ration books. Perhaps 250 trained Air Raid wardens, then War Savings certificates on street light poles.
Baby Health Centre near Auburn Football Ground.
Air raid slit trenches built in public gardens during war years.Camberwell High school.
1942William Broad Hall retires, Town Clerk since 1903.
Air raid trenches dug in Henry Street.Brook Street kindergarten opens in Christ Church hall.
1944Cara Armstrong Kinder.
Housing Commission estate homes planned, perhaps Roman Catholic land at Power Street, also near Auburn Road.Progress Press published.
Traffic lights installed at Barkers Road and Power Street.Pridmore Park reserve.
1948Cato family moves away from Hawthorn.
Population: 40,500 people now lived in Hawthorn; 10,055 dwellings.Brook Street Kindergarten army hut fire.
New Tower Hotel.
1950 - 1974
Kew railway stopped.
War Widows home built in Hawthorn Grove then Manningtree Road.
Old Road Board office in Burwood Road demolished.
Immunization service created for immunization against smallpox, whooping cough, diptheria.
Tintern School moves away from Hawthorn to Ringwood East.
Population: 37,155. City of Hawthorn including 10,756 dwellings, 21 churches, 9 hotels, 15 gardens, coffee palace, 2 baby health centres and 6 kindergartens.
First Drive-in Theatre at Hawthorn East.
Sir William Angliss Reserve donated (Hawthorn East).
Parking meters introduced.
Population: 37,155. 21 churches, 9 hotels, 15 gardens, coffee palace, 10,756 homes.
Ellerslie Nursing Home Harcourt Street.
Kew railway to close.
Bookmobile service operates from local libraries. later opposite Rivoli Theatre.
Glenferrie Road numbers changed to continue with Kew.
Off-street parking, with car parks created near stations and shops.
Teddy Rigg died, Councillor 1937-1953
City of Hawthorn celebrates centenary.
Population: 37,872 Eastern Suburbs Standard.
Auburn Quarry brickworks near Burgess Street: employs 130 people, produces 230.000 bricks per week.
First Ten Pin Bowling Alley – north corner Glenferrie Road/Hawthorn Grove.
Consecration of Christ Church Memorial Garden.
Suggestion streets lose trees and new gutters as streets widened for traffic to city – Liddiard and Mason streets, Hawthorn Grove and Glenferrie Road, which reduced home values.
New river bridge planned.
Opening of Migrant Reception Centre at Shenton in Hawthorn.
Camberwell Historical Society founded.
New Library, Elderly Citizens and Health centres.
Meals on Wheels occupies former Tintern property, Glenferrie Road.
Publication of Geoffrey Blainey’s book A History of Camberwell.
Drive in Theatre by Toorak and Tooronga Roads.
Heritage buildings in area identified.
Venezualan Consulate moves to Lisson Grove.
Berkeley Street to be widened for freeway link.
Move to stop removal of street trees.
Bonwick’s Sketch of Boroondara 1858 reprinted.
Rossbourne School moved to Power Street, at former Stratherne site.
Technical schools taken over by Education Department.
Tay Creggan (built in 1892) sold to Baptist Union for use by Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar.
Freeway planned south-east to Toorak Road.
Pre-school immunisation: measles, tetnus, smallpox, whooping cough, diptheria.
Denham Street Methodist church burnt down.
Compulsory voting for Council elections.
Traffic lights introduced at Camberwell Junction.
Camberwell Historical Society closes.
Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches amalgamate to form the Uniting Church.
St James Park Association’s research, photographs and histories of buildings prompting interest in conservation and concern throughout Hawthorn.
Tall brick chimneys demolished near Rose Street.
Invergorie leased to State College.
Hawthorn Historical Society begins, suggested by Hawthorn Librarian Alan Barclay.
Part ring road created.
Hawthorn Football Club matches move away from Glenferrie oval.
1975 - 1999
Community saves Commercial Bank south-west corner Glenferrie /Burwood roads.Hawthorn Historical Society has 60 members.
Conservation battle saves 155 Church Street, former Bridge/Bowling Club hotel.Also Junior Hawthorn Historical Society group.
Child-care centre Glenferrie Road.
Extension of Town Hall east.
Most local creeks covered.
Population: 38,000 people, 14,705 dwellings
Swinburne prints Hawthorn Historical Society newsletters; local scenes photographed by students for Town Hall exhibition.Dave Paul holds slide show Scotch College.
John Gardiner honoured with tree (Deodar Cedar) in Fairview Park.
Local conservation studies conducted by Loder & Bayly.
First stage of Eastern Freeway to Bulleen Road.
Libraries open Sundays.
Child-care centre in Auburn.
Over 60’s Club formed.
Gardens in Denham Street now officially St James Park.Population: 34,100, 14306 dwellings
Tramlines extended further east.
Brick/clay pits filled in near Burgess Street.
Hawthorn Peppercorns, written by Gwen McWilliam.
Hawthorn Square development at the corner of Burwood/Power Streets, with carpark, also over buried creek, Harold Street.
St Joseph’s school combines with St John’s, moves away.
Swinburne College enrols 4,000 students.
Road humps trialled to slow traffic.
A Middle-Ring Suburb: a study of the urban fabric of Hawthorn, prepared by King, Pike and Seddon.Road humps installed.
Morang Road drain reconstructed.
University of the Third Age (U3A) meetings.
Swinburne becomes Swinburne Institute of Technology.Bike paths created through Hawthorn.
Neighbourhood House, Central Gardens.
Yugoslav Consulate, in Lisson Grove.
Bike paths, and railway land upgraded as parks by Kinkora Road.
New pipe toilets near river.
First bachelor degrees at Swinburne University.Ombu tree in Central Gardens dies.
Making the Most of Hawthorn booklet published.Freeways planned.
New Camberwell Historical Society.
Bank south-west corner Camberwell Junction saved.
Hawthorn Station Heritage study conducted.
Loder and Bayly study of St Kames Park Estate.
Local Tree Walk taken by Council Parks and Gardens Officer.
Historic Plaques suggested by Hawthorn Historical Society.Trees planted near football ground.
Hawthorn Historical Society now has 110 financial members.
U3A, Wakefield Street.
Burke Road South Reserve planned.City of Hawthorn plans 40 Historic Plaques, commemorating Victoria 150 Years.
Sports Centre for John Gardiner High School, then hockey and sports clubs.
Willsmere developed at Kew.Child-care centre replaces Scout Hall in Church Street.
“Hawthorn during the 1930’s depression”, by Gina McWilliam.
Oral History project funded by Commonwealth Grant and Hawthorn Council – interviews with elderly citizens organized at Hawthorn Library.
Hawthorn Railway Station receives major renovation, others rebuilt.Tip filled and closes, later named Fritsch Holzer Park.
New river bridge and highway dropped.
Last nightman visits home in Hawthorn south-east“Mayblooms and Cherry Bobs” in VII sections as Oral History Project.
Carrigal extended for Housing Commission, also homes as Munro Communicty Centre near Auburn Bowling Club, Harcourt or Smart Streets.
Sunday markets commence.Motor Bolts building demolished for Town Hall extension.
Illawarra Scout Hall pavilion burns.
Power lines across Yarra Bank Reserve opposed.
Opening of the South Eastern Freeway from Toorak Road to Warrigal Road.
City of Hawthorn Bicentennial Time Capsule Project – enclosed in cairn in St James Park to be opened Wednesday 30th June 2088.
Headmistresses Association to sell Invergowrie.Scotch College’s great indigenous trees noted by Professor Turner, under threat from freeway.
Dorothy Sutherland, member of Hawthorn Historical Society suggests native plants garden.
Auburn Hotel now Geebung.
Grace Park Estate, Kinkora Road and Hawthorn Grove- conservation area.
Wurundjeri Garden remembered by aboriginal people, members working under watchful native birds.Historical Records Centre created in the new city library.
Swinburne Community School opens.
Berkeley Street trees removed for possible freeway link.
Hawthorn Peppercorn Club, once Elderly Citizens.
Dogs required to be on leads along streets and in most parks.Council bans the use of private incinerators.
Conservation of Tooronga area discussed. Hawthorn Strategy Plan Built-Form Topic group.
Swinburne now Swinburne University of Technology.Publication of Geraldine McFarlane’s Life in the Valley.
Rose Street open space landscaped Fritsch-Holzer Park.Education department sold The Terricks.
A History of Hawthorn by Victoria Peel, Deborah Zion and Jane Yule.
Yarra Garden bike path.City of Hawthorn merges with Kew and Camberwell to create City of Boroondara. May have been called Riversdale – but Boroondara apparently recommended by former MP Walter Jona, and confirmed just before his death.
Double trams now travel to Burwood.New wards created within Boroondara, but no Hawthorn.
Erasmus College, Riversdale Road.
Optus overhead cables extended.Boroondara Urban Character Study completed.
1997Hawthorn Community House extended, Henry Street.
Some reserves designated as off-lead spaces for dogs.Flying foxes to leave Botanical gardens, perhaps to go to Alphington, and seen nearer river in Boroondara.
1999Geraldine McFarlane’s Life on the Hill published.
2000 and Above
2000Newly renovated Rivoli Picture Theatre in Camberwell Road opens.
2001Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar extending Tay Creggan, also Rossbourne School.
2002Augustine Church sold.
Indigenous Heritage Study, Boroondara Council.
My Neighbourhood Plan – centres for future development outlined.Significant Tree Study 2001-2003, Boroondara Council.
Governor Hotham now called Hawthorn Hotel (with former Hawthorn then Whitehorse Hotel gone).Hawthorn Streets Index, by Gwen McWilliam revised
2006Hawthorn Football Club moves from Glenferrie oval into Waverley Park.
2007‘Hawthorn History Walks’.
Parks and pavilions upgraded.Road Board office site plaque lost when building in Burwood Road replaced.
The Well multi-storey shopping and residential complex.
Schools Building Program: extension Hawthorn West Primary and Auburn South.Beehive Hotel now Barker’s Hotel, former Terminus demolished.
Stockland’s mix-use Tooronga Village Complex opens.
Camberwell Junction and Glenferrie development.City of Boroondara Thematic Environmental History, by Built Heritage.
Hawthorn Library and Community Precinct altered.Former police station in Glenferrie Road demolished.
New spire for St Anthony’s Catholic Church.
Swinburne extending along Burwood Road: 5 campuses, 23,781 pupils.
Aerial Project, high-rise apartments Camberwell Junction – including renovation of English, Scottish and Australian Bank built 1885.
2013Five storeyed apartment block of 72 units to be built near St Joseph’s.